RESULTS from the 10/7 race!
IMPORTANT: WARRIOR VENUE/COURSE CHANGE!
Warrior Tri must move to Albuquerque Academy for this year’s race, and will be off-road. The course is fun and non-technical, even the most inexperienced can easily handle the course. The race course is 5k run, 12k bike and 400 yard swim.
Kirtland Air Force Base 377 Air Base Wing has informed us they can no longer support the Warrior Triathlon. BUT great news - the KAFB USAF Pararescue and Combat Rescue Officer school, which has been involved in the race since its inception, is taking over as the sponsoring and management organization to the Warrior Triathlon! So yes, the PJ’s will be out in force at Academy this year - and next year we expect the race back at KAFB under the PJ’s direction.
Registered athletes have their choice of; racing the new course, rolling entry to the Nutcracker Sprint Tri Dec. 9th in Rio Rancho or a refund. Please contact us with any questions; Mark@TriSportCoaching.com and thank you for your understanding, and for racing with us!
Portion of the proceeds benefits the Wounded Warrior project.
ATHLETES INFO: Please download the following pdf document for a summary of the race information (updated 10/5/12).
Sunday, October 7th, 2012
6400 Wyoming Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
This is a Run-Bike-Swim triathlon, with run and bike portions off-road. The course is on Academy trails, which are pretty smooth, non-technical dirt. Thus, you do NOT have to be a mountain bike expert rider, the course is easy to ride.
Distances: 5k run, 12k bike, 400yd swim.
Online registration via Active.com.
If you have problems and/or questions about the Active registration process, you can call their registration customer service at 877.228.4881, and select option 3. Information about how to register a team.
Regular mail: Please print and fill out this pdf form, and mail it together with payment to TriSportCoaching, P.O. Box 94703, Albuquerque, NM 87199.
No race day registration.
No refunds are issued, and no race entry transfers.
If you have problems with registration, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before 9/25: Individuals $48, Teams $109, Juniors (age 19 and under) $22, Military $43, Kids race $15
9/26 - 10/6: Individuals $58, Teams $119, Juniors $32, Military $53, Kids race $20
Since this is a USAT sanctioned event, we will follow the rules governed by USAT. The complete set of rules with details can be found at the webpages of USAT (see also this pdf document). Here is list of a few of the most important regulations to be aware of:
· Bike helmets are required at any time you are on your bike at the event location (this includes when bringing your bike back and forth to your car).
· Drafting is not allowed on the bike section.
· Race numbers must be carried during the run and bike sections.
· iPods and headphones are not allowed on the course.
· For this race, the swim is in a pool and no swim cap is needed. You can use nose plugs if desired. Goggles are optional, but recommended.
Driving directions & Parking:
Take I-25 to exit 231, San Antonio Ave. Turn right onto San Antonio Ave. and go approximately 1.5 miles to Wyoming Blvd. Turn right onto Wyoming Blvd. Stay to the left and take the next left, at Burlison, into the Academy campus at 6400 Wyoming Blvd. Take an immediate right and look for signs toward the Natatorium (where the transition area is). Please park at surrounding campus parking spaces.
We have a limited amount of rental mountain bikes available, Gary Fisher Hardtail (front shock only). They are $25, and to be picked up during packet pickup Saturday and to be returned on Sunday at the race finish. First come, first served, email Mark@TriSportCoaching.com for RSVP/info.
Course information & Maps:
Run course (jpg), goes clock wise
Bike course info: Smooth, non-technical dirt. The bike course is 2 loops, 6k each with a 'neutral' 10mph zone through the spectators and water hand up if you like as you start the second lap. It is non-technical, with some very fun sections of singletrack and plenty of doubletrack/wider sections for folks to pass or be passed.
Swim info: The swim uses two 25 yard indoor pools next to each other, so there will be one way traffic in each lane, and a zig-zag swim up one lane and down the next. You exit the first pool and enter the second pool via a 15-20 feet pool deck section - into 2nd pool & finish the swim.
Distances: 5k run, 12k bike, 400yd swim. The transition area is ‘first come first served’, so feel free to pick your spot.
Pre-race clinic: If you want to run and ride the course and get hints about the race, we have a pre-race off-road triathlon clinic one week before the race, Saturday 9/29 at 11am (at Academy). We will also look at the unique two-pool swim, and talk about other things like race-day nutrition etc. Cost is $20 for an individual or $40 for a 3 person team. Sign up via PayPal.
The youth race (children 4-7 years and 8-12 years) will start at 11am.
Ages 4-7: 440 yd run / 0.5 mile bike / 25 yd swim
Ages 8-12: 1 mile run / 3.5 mile bike / 200 yd swim
Youth Triathlon entry includes race shirt and finisher medals!
High Desert Bicycles, 8110 Louisiana Blvd. NE, Albuquerque
Saturday 10/6: 12-4pm
Sunday 10/7: 7:00-8:30am
Do you want to volunteer at the race? Contact the race director at email@example.com.
- A pre-race meeting will be held at approximately 8:45am next to the transition area.
- Make sure you get body marked (your race number will be printed on arms and legs for timing), will be done close to the transition area (you will be able to smell the markers…)
- Awards by age division in 5 year increments (medals will be awarded to those in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each age group) and 1st place to overall Female, Male and Team.
- We have the following race categories: Age Group (Individual), Athena, Clydesdale, Team, PC and Military.
- For the Military category, all military active or inactive, retired etc. are qualified. All Military are automatically entered in Age Group as well.
- Approximately 10-15% if the registration fee goes to the Wounded Warrior project, depending on number of athletes racing; race costs must be met first. In 2010 13% was donated from each entry.
- Rental bikes: We have a limited amount of rental mountain bikes available, Gary Fisher Hardtail (front shock only). They are $25, and to be picked up during packet pickup Saturday and to be returned on Sunday at the race finish. First come, first served, email Mark@TriSportCoaching.com for RSVP/info.
- More on rental bikes: If we run out of rental bikes, there may be a few bikes available for rent from High Desert Bicycles, (505) - 842 8260. Tell them you will be participating in the Warrior Triathlon.
- Results will be posted on this webpage a few hours after the race (as soon as we get to an internet connection after the race is completed).
- Are you new to Triathlons? We have begun collecting general triathlon race questions in this TriSport Triathlon FAQ document - please email us your questions that you cannot find answers to here.
Thanks to our sponsors: